During his testimony Tuesday before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche made the startling admission that Jan. 6 Capitol rioters who had been convicted of assaulting police officers could be eligible for “multi-million dollar payouts” using taxpayer dollars.
The potential payouts would come from the new $1.776 billion fund setup in exchange for President Donald Trump dropping his $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service, a lawsuit he filed in response to his tax returns being leaked in 2019. The fund will be dedicated to “settle claims brought by anyone who alleges they were harmed by the Biden administration’s ‘weaponization’ of the legal system,” per ABC News.

While testifying, Blanche was asked by Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR) about whether violent insurrectionists who participated in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot would be eligible for payouts from the new fund.
“During Police Week, I heard from a number of law enforcement friends who found it appalling that there was the possibility that folks like the Oath Keepers, the Proud Boys who had assaulted Capitol Police officers could receive multi-million dollar payouts from this fund,” Merkley said. “Will you commit that no one who has been convicted of assaulting a police officer will receive a payout from this fund?”
Blanche conceded that while he shared in Merkley’s “concerns,” the fund would ultimately be eligible for anyone who claims to have been unfairly targeted by the Biden administration’s Justice Department.
“Anybody can apply,” Blanche said. “The commissioners [of the fund] will set rules, I'm sure – that's not for me to set, that's for the commissioners. And whether an individual, an Oath Keeper as you just mentioned, applies for compensation... anybody in this country can apply.”
Blanche was also asked about whether individuals who donated to Trump’s campaign would also be eligible for payouts through the fund.
“Will you commit that none of this money will go to President Trump's campaign donors?” Merkley asked.
“I am not committing to anything beyond the settlement agreement itself,” Blanche responded. “When you say campaign donors… they are not excluded from seeking compensation.”


