CONTRACTOR Sally N. Santos, owner of the blacklisted SYMS Construction Trading, has turned over a total of P20 million in cash as part of her commitment to the CONTRACTOR Sally N. Santos, owner of the blacklisted SYMS Construction Trading, has turned over a total of P20 million in cash as part of her commitment to the

SYMS contractor returns P20M to gov’t, DoJ says

2025/12/23 20:15
2 min read

CONTRACTOR Sally N. Santos, owner of the blacklisted SYMS Construction Trading, has turned over a total of P20 million in cash as part of her commitment to the restitution process, the Department of Justice (DoJ) confirmed on Tuesday.

According to Justice spokesperson Raphael Niccolo L. Martinez, Ms. Santos previously returned P5 million on Dec. 4, and an additional P15 million on Monday, bringing the total to P20 million.

“The final amount to be surrendered will be equivalent to the royalty fees Sally Santos received from the Hiram Lisensya scheme,” Mr. Martinez said.

SYMS Construction Trading was barred from public contracts following investigations into fraudulent infrastructure projects. The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) imposed a perpetual lifetime ban on the firm in September, preventing it from bidding on government projects indefinitely.

While cooperating with authorities, Ms. Santos remains a respondent in multiple ongoing cases, facing criminal charges under the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act (Republic Act 3019) and for malversation of public funds, with the DoJ currently prosecuting five active cases linked to flood control projects in Bulacan.

A suspect-turned-whistleblower, Ms. Santos made several admissions during Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearings, including lending her company’s construction licenses to Public Works engineers in Bulacan, namely Brice Ericson D. Hernandez and Jaypee D. Mendoza, to facilitate ghost and substandard projects in exchange for a 3% royalty fee.

She also testified to delivering up to P245 million in cash in a single day to DPWH offices, often transported in instant noodle boxes and estimated that total kickbacks to officials may have exceeded P1 billion since 2022.

Ms. Santos claimed she was coerced by government engineers into participating in the scheme to ensure her firm remained eligible for future contracts.

Following Senate protective custody in September, she agreed to a memorandum with the Justice department concerning flood control project investigations, with her conditional cooperation and restitution. She was provisionally admitted to the witness protection program.

The cash she turned over on Monday has been placed at the state-owned Land Bank of the Philippines, the DoJ said. — Erika Mae P. Sinaking

Market Opportunity
Threshold Logo
Threshold Price(T)
$0.007023
$0.007023$0.007023
-1.44%
USD
Threshold (T) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

Trading time: Tonight, the US GDP and the upcoming non-farm data will become the market focus. Institutions are bullish on BTC to $120,000 in the second quarter.

Trading time: Tonight, the US GDP and the upcoming non-farm data will become the market focus. Institutions are bullish on BTC to $120,000 in the second quarter.

Daily market key data review and trend analysis, produced by PANews.
Share
PANews2025/04/30 13:50
Trump: Global tariffs to be raised from 10% to 15%

Trump: Global tariffs to be raised from 10% to 15%

PANews reported on February 22 that Trump posted on social media, stating that based on a full, detailed, and complete review of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling
Share
PANews2026/02/22 08:16
China’s mineral moves shake global tech and defense

China’s mineral moves shake global tech and defense

The post China’s mineral moves shake global tech and defense appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. China’s overseas sales of rare-earth products hit a record in August, just days before an expected phone call between Xi Jinping and Donald Trump that could touch on the sensitive materials at the heart of high-tech manufacturing and defense. Shipments of rare-earth products, including high-performance magnets used in consumer electronics and fighter aircraft reached 7,338 tons last month, according to Bloomberg calculations based on government data. It marks the highest monthly level since early 2012 in the available records. The surge follows a steep drop earlier this year after Beijing curbed some rare-earth exports amid a growing trade dispute with the US. A pause in tensions followed. Following talks in Madrid this week, President Trump said he intends to hold a phone call with President Xi on Friday. Beijing’s rare earth rules tightened in April, cutting trade. Cryptopolitan earlier reported when China set export controls in response to higher U.S. tariffs and limits on technology transfer by Western nations. China supplies over 70% of rare earths and handles about 90% of processing. The Ministry of Commerce said the measures protect national security. New licenses slowed approvals, slashing shipments in April and May. The delays disrupted supply chains and forced auto makers outside Beijing to pause output for shortages. In July, the European Parliament urged the EU to bolster key strengths and warned China’s licensing rules seek sensitive data. Germanium demand overwhelms supply chains Pressure is also building in another corner of the strategic metals market. Chinese limits on exports of germanium, a metal vital for military thermal-imaging systems found in fighter jets and other equipment, have created a sharp supply squeeze and driven prices to their highest level in at least 14 years, traders say. Beijing announced in 2023 that it would halt exports of germanium, gallium and antimony after the…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 18:38