Text from an email showing that Mark Zuckerberg looks to target teens.Text from an email showing that Mark Zuckerberg looks to target teens.

Meta’s Zuckerberg denies at LA trial that Instagram targets kids

2026/02/19 10:41
4 min read

LOS ANGELES, US – Meta Platforms Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday repeatedly said during a landmark trial over youth social media addiction that the Facebook and Instagram operator does not allow kids under 13 on its platforms, despite being confronted with evidence suggesting they were a key demographic.

Mark Lanier, a lawyer for the woman suing Instagram and Google’s YouTube for harming her mental health when she was a child, pressed Zuckerberg over his statement to Congress in 2024 that users under 13 are not allowed on the platform. Lanier confronted Zuckerberg with internal Meta documents.

The case involves a California woman who started using Instagram and YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe.

“If we want to win big with teens, we must bring them in as tweens,” read one internal Instagram presentation from 2018.

“And yet you say that we would never do that,” said Lanier.

Zuckerberg replied that Lanier was “mischaracterizing what I am saying.” The CEO said Meta has “had different conversations over time to try to build different versions of services that kids can safely use.” For example, he said Meta discussed creating a version of Instagram for children under 13, but ultimately never did.

Meta faces potential damages at the jury trial in Los Angeles, part of a wave of litigation against social media companies in the US, where cases are beginning to go to trial amid a broader global backlash over the platforms’ effect on young users.

Meta’s rivals Snap and TikTok settled with the plaintiff before the trial kicked off last week.

In one email, Nick Clegg, who was Meta’s vice president of global affairs, told Zuckerberg and other top executives, “we have age limits which are unenforced (unenforceable?)” and noted different policies for Instagram versus Facebook make it “difficult to claim we are doing all we can.”

Zuckerberg responded by saying that it is hard for app developers to verify user age and that the responsibility should be on the makers of mobile devices.

Maximizing screentime

Zuckerberg also faced questions about his statement to Congress that he did not give Instagram teams the goal of maximizing time spent on the app.

Lanier showed jurors emails from 2014 and 2015 in which Zuckerberg laid out aims to increase time spent on the app by double-digit percentage points. Zuckerberg said that while Meta previously had goals related to the amount of time users spent on the app, it has since changed its approach.

“If you are trying to say my testimony was not accurate, I strongly disagree with that,” Zuckerberg said.

The appearance was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users. Meta’s lawyers were to question him in the afternoon.

Case part of broader backlash

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet’s Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

A verdict against the companies in the Los Angeles case could erode Big Tech’s longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that some teens reported that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies, and that these people saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not, Reuters reported in October.

Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens’ attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta’s lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman’s health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.

Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16. Other countries are considering similar curbs. In the U.S., Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. – Rappler.com

Must Read

Teens a ‘top priority’: Documents show Facebook, platforms’ efforts to hook young users

Market Opportunity
Lagrange Logo
Lagrange Price(LA)
$0.20094
$0.20094$0.20094
-4.17%
USD
Lagrange (LA) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

Lagarde May Leave ECB Early as Digital Euro Enters Key Phase

Lagarde May Leave ECB Early as Digital Euro Enters Key Phase

The post Lagarde May Leave ECB Early as Digital Euro Enters Key Phase appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2026/02/19 12:34
U.S. Court Finds Pastor Found Guilty in $3M Crypto Scam

U.S. Court Finds Pastor Found Guilty in $3M Crypto Scam

The post U.S. Court Finds Pastor Found Guilty in $3M Crypto Scam appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Crime 18 September 2025 | 04:05 A Colorado judge has brought closure to one of the state’s most unusual cryptocurrency scandals, declaring INDXcoin to be a fraudulent operation and ordering its founders, Denver pastor Eli Regalado and his wife Kaitlyn, to repay $3.34 million. The ruling, issued by District Court Judge Heidi L. Kutcher, came nearly two years after the couple persuaded hundreds of people to invest in their token, promising safety and abundance through a Christian-branded platform called the Kingdom Wealth Exchange. The scheme ran between June 2022 and April 2023 and drew in more than 300 participants, many of them members of local church networks. Marketing materials portrayed INDXcoin as a low-risk gateway to prosperity, yet the project unraveled almost immediately. The exchange itself collapsed within 24 hours of launch, wiping out investors’ money. Despite this failure—and despite an auditor’s damning review that gave the system a “0 out of 10” for security—the Regalados kept presenting it as a solid opportunity. Colorado regulators argued that the couple’s faith-based appeal was central to the fraud. Securities Commissioner Tung Chan said the Regalados “dressed an old scam in new technology” and used their standing within the Christian community to convince people who had little knowledge of crypto. For him, the case illustrates how modern digital assets can be exploited to replicate classic Ponzi-style tactics under a different name. Court filings revealed where much of the money ended up: luxury goods, vacations, jewelry, a Range Rover, high-end clothing, and even dental procedures. In a video that drew worldwide attention earlier this year, Eli Regalado admitted the funds had been spent, explaining that a portion went to taxes while the remainder was used for a home renovation he claimed was divinely inspired. The judgment not only confirms that INDXcoin qualifies as a…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 09:14
Over 20 countries will attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting on February 19, White House says

Over 20 countries will attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting on February 19, White House says

While regional Middle East powers, including Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar, as well as major emerging nations such as Indonesia, have joined the board,
Share
Rappler2026/02/19 11:58