Duterte remains at the ICC detention center, awaiting pre-trial; the appeals chamber denied his appeal for an interim release in November 2025Duterte remains at the ICC detention center, awaiting pre-trial; the appeals chamber denied his appeal for an interim release in November 2025

FACT CHECK: No ICC ruling allowing Duterte to return to PH wearing location tracker

2026/02/20 11:00
4 min read

Claim: The International Criminal Court (ICC) has ruled that detained former president Rodrigo Duterte will be allowed to return to the Philippines on the condition that he wears a location tracker.

Rating: FALSE

Why we fact-checked this: Several posts bearing the false claim have been circulating on Facebook, with the most popular one garnering 8,800 reactions, 1,200 comments, and 423 shares. The page spreading the claim, “SNN,” presents itself as a news site and has 162,000 followers.

The false posts use the same graphic, which shows Duterte with long, graying hair in front of a court. 

Rodrigo Duterte, pinayagan na ng ICC makabalik sa Pilipinas at lalagyan ito ng tracker kung saan man sya pupunta,” text on the graphic says.  

(The ICC has allowed Rodrigo Duterte to return to the Philippines while equipped with a tracker wherever he goes.)

The caption used is also the same across the posts, which claims that the update was issued by the ICC. One of the posts includes a link that purportedly contains more details about the supposed decision.

Comments on these posts show that users believed the claim to be true, with one comment stating, “Totoo? Bahala may tracking importante makauwi.”

(Really? Never mind if there’s a tracker, the important thing is that he is brought home.)

The facts: There is no ICC ruling allowing Duterte to return to the Philippines as long as he wears a location tracker. The court’s official website does not list any such update for Duterte’s case.

The former president has previously made an unsuccessful bid for an interim release. He remains detained at the ICC prison in The Hague, awaiting his confirmation of charges hearing scheduled for February 23 to 27. The false claim began circulating a few weeks before the hearings.

On January 26, the ICC’s Pre-Trial Chamber I found the former president fit to take part in the pre-trial proceedings. Duterte’s legal team had earlier claimed that he was unfit for trial because he is cognitively impaired.

“Having regard to the relevant legal principles, the medical assessment of a panel of three independent medical experts and all of the relevant circumstances of the case, the Chamber was satisfied that Mr Duterte is able effectively to exercise his procedural rights and is therefore fit to take part in the pre-trial proceedings, which are thereby resumed,” the court said in its January 2026 decision.

Health condition: Ahead of the pre-trial proceedings, Duterte requested to waive his right to attend his confirmation of charges hearing, citing his poor health and refusal to recognize the chamber’s jurisdiction.

“I do not wish to attend legal proceedings that I will forget within minutes. I am old, tired, and frail. I wish for this Court to respect my peace inside the cell it has placed me. I have accepted the fact that I could die in prison,” Duterte stated in a letter typed for him and which his lawyer submitted to the ICC. (READ MORE: ‘I am old, tired, and frail’: Duterte asks ICC to skip pre-trial) 

False claims about release, ill health: All kinds of false claims about Duterte have been spreading in the lead-up to Duterte’s confirmation of charges hearing. Most common among these are posts that say Duterte is set to be released or is in poor health. 

Rappler has previously debunked these claims:

  • FACT CHECK: No proof of Duterte in ‘critical’ condition    
  • FACT CHECK: Viral photo of Duterte reunited with daughter Kitty is manipulated
  • FACT CHECK: Duterte’s ICC case not dismissed; claim of insufficient evidence is false
  • FACT CHECK: Duterte did not leave ICC detention for one hour; photo is AI-generated
  • FACT CHECK: Photo of Kitty Duterte ‘in tears’ due to father’s health is altered    

– Shay Du/Rappler.com

Keep us aware of suspicious Facebook pages, groups, accounts, websites, articles, or photos in your network by contacting us at factcheck@rappler.com. Let us battle disinformation one Fact Check at a time.

Market Opportunity
Checkmate Logo
Checkmate Price(CHECK)
$0.066432
$0.066432$0.066432
-4.56%
USD
Checkmate (CHECK) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

LAX Establishes Merchant Identity Infrastructure Roadmap for Retail Web3 Adoption

LAX Establishes Merchant Identity Infrastructure Roadmap for Retail Web3 Adoption

The roadmap outlines a structured approach to merchant verification and secure retail integration in decentralized commerce Singapore, SG – February 20, 2026 –
Share
Techbullion2026/02/20 13:01
HYPE awaits HTX listing verification as 8 PM nears

HYPE awaits HTX listing verification as 8 PM nears

Huobi HTX HYPE listing is unverified; we outline how to check official notices, confirm pairs and time zones, review fees and avoid scams if the 8 PM claim holds
Share
coinlineup2026/02/20 13:18
Shiba Inu Leader Breaks Silence on $2.4M Shibarium Exploit, Confirms Active Recovery

Shiba Inu Leader Breaks Silence on $2.4M Shibarium Exploit, Confirms Active Recovery

The lead developer of Shiba Inu, Shytoshi Kusama, has publicly addressed the Shibarium bridge exploit that occurred recently, draining $2.4 million from the network. After days of speculation about his involvement in managing the crisis, the project leader broke his silence.Kusama emphasized that a special ”war room” has been set up to restore stolen finances and enhance network security. The statement is his first official words since the bridge compromise occurred.”Although I am focusing on AI initiatives to benefit all our tokens, I remain with the developers and leadership in the war room,” Kusama posted on social media platform X. He dismissed claims that he had distanced himself from the project as ”utterly preposterous.”The developer said that the reason behind his silence at first was strategic. Before he could make any statements publicly, he must have taken time to evaluate what he termed a complex and deep situation properly. Kusama also vowed to provide further updates in the official Shiba Inu channels as the team comes up with long-term solutions.Attack Details and Immediate ResponseAs highlighted in our previous article, targeted Shibarium's bridge infrastructure through a sophisticated attack vector. Hackers gained unauthorized access to validator signing keys, compromising the network's security framework.The hackers executed a flash loan to acquire 4.6 million BONE ShibaSwap tokens. The validator power on the network was majority held by them after this purchase. They were able to transfer assets out of Shibarium with this control.The response of Shibarium developers was timely to limit the breach. They instantly halted all validator functions in order to avoid additional exploitation. The team proceeded to deposit the assets under staking in a multisig hardware wallet that is secure.External security companies were involved in the investigation effort. Hexens, Seal 911, and PeckShield are collaborating with internal developers to examine the attack and discover vulnerabilities.The project's key concerns are network stability and the protection of user funds, as underlined by the lead developer, Dhairya. The team is working around the clock to restore normal operations.In an effort to recover the funds, Shiba Inu has offered a bounty worth 5 Ether ($23,000) to the hackers. The bounty offer includes a 30-day deadline with decreasing rewards after seven days.Market Impact and Recovery IncentivesThe exploit caused serious volatility in the marketplace of Shiba Inu ecosystem tokens. SHIB dropped about 6% after the news of the attack. However, The token has bounced back and is currently trading at around $0.00001298 at the time of writing.SHIB Price Source CoinMarketCap
Share
Coinstats2025/09/18 02:25