Iran has partially closed the Strait of Hormuz, and state media said the action was taken under “security precautions” while the Revolutionary Guard carried outIran has partially closed the Strait of Hormuz, and state media said the action was taken under “security precautions” while the Revolutionary Guard carried out

Iran has partially closed the Strait of Hormuz

2026/02/18 05:25
3 min read

Iran has partially closed the Strait of Hormuz, and state media said the action was taken under “security precautions” while the Revolutionary Guard carried out military drills inside the waterway.

The Strait sits between Oman and Iran, and it is the most critical oil route on Earth.

This is the first time Iran has shut parts of the Strait of Hormuz since U.S. President Donald Trump threatened Tehran with military action in January.

The waterway links crude producers in the Middle East to buyers across Asia, Europe, and the United States. In 2025, about 13 million barrels per day passed through it, which is roughly 31% of global seaborne crude flows, based on data from Kpler.

Even a partial restriction of Hormuz raises risk premiums. Shipping insurance costs will surge, and global oil markets will spike too, making life hard for average people all around the world.

Iran conducts drills as nuclear talks continue

At the same time, the United States and Iran held talks in Geneva over Tehran’s nuclear program. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi spoke after the meeting. Abbas said both sides reached an understanding of the “guiding principles.” He also said progress does not mean a final agreement is close and that more work is still needed.

The International Energy Agency released its monthly oil report on Monday. The agency said world oil demand will grow more slowly than expected this year. It also warned that the global market still faces a sizeable surplus despite supply outages in January.

The IEA projected that global supply will exceed demand by 3.73 million barrels per day in 2026. That equals almost 4% of world demand. It is larger than other forecasts. The IEA said, “Escalating geopolitical tensions, snowstorms and extreme temperatures in North America, and Kazakh supply disruptions sparked the reversal to a bullish market.”

At the same time, the agency stated that “economic uncertainties and higher oil prices” are weighing on consumption.

World oil demand is now expected to rise by 850,000 barrels per day this year. That figure is 80,000 barrels per day lower than last month’s estimate. It is also below the projection from OPEC. Supply has grown faster than demand. OPEC+, which includes Russia and other allies, began increasing output in April 2025 after years of cuts. Producers such as the United States, Guyana, and Brazil also lifted production.

OPEC+ paused output hikes for the first quarter of 2026. Eight members will meet on March 1 to decide whether to resume increases in April. In January, global oil supply fell by 1.2 million barrels per day to 106.6 million barrels per day due to outages in Kazakhstan and other areas. The IEA lowered its 2026 supply growth forecast to 2.4 million barrels per day from 2.5 million.

OPEC+ pumped 43.3 million barrels per day in January, down 160,000 from December. That level remains well above the IEA estimate for demand for OPEC+ crude, which stands at 39.7 million barrels per day in the first quarter and 39.6 million in the second.

Data published by OPEC on Wednesday showed a much smaller surplus in the second quarter and a supply deficit in 2026 overall if output stays at January levels, based on Reuters calculations.

If you're reading this, you’re already ahead. Stay there with our newsletter.

Market Opportunity
Router Protocol Logo
Router Protocol Price(ROUTE)
$0.001112
$0.001112$0.001112
+0.36%
USD
Router Protocol (ROUTE) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

NVIDIA Partners With India’s Top Manufacturers in $134B AI Factory Push

NVIDIA Partners With India’s Top Manufacturers in $134B AI Factory Push

The post NVIDIA Partners With India’s Top Manufacturers in $134B AI Factory Push appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Alvin Lang Feb 18, 2026 01:02 NVIDIA teams
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2026/02/18 09:12
Tesla's brand has gone negative, says investor who wants Rivian to buy the EV business

Tesla's brand has gone negative, says investor who wants Rivian to buy the EV business

Ross Gerber prominent Wall Street investor is calling on Tesla to sell its electric vehicle business to rival Rivian, saying the Tesla name has become a liability
Share
Cryptopolitan2026/02/18 09:38
Metaplanet Stock Slides as Top Japanese Bitcoin Treasury Sets Up Shop in Miami

Metaplanet Stock Slides as Top Japanese Bitcoin Treasury Sets Up Shop in Miami

The post Metaplanet Stock Slides as Top Japanese Bitcoin Treasury Sets Up Shop in Miami appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. In brief Tokyo-listed Metaplanet is expanding to the U.S. Its Miami-based subsidiary will initially have $15 million in capital. The firm meanwhile closed on its $1.45 billion public offering. Metaplanet, a Tokyo-listed hotel group that owns $2.3 billion worth of Bitcoin, said on Wednesday that its business is expanding to the U.S. The firm, which owns more than 20,000 Bitcoin, is establishing a subsidiary in Miami, Florida, to “manage and grow income-generation activities,” according to a press release. Metaplanet said the wholly-owned firm, dubbed Metaplanet Income Corp., will initially have $15 million in capital. It will provide its parent company with a better opportunity to “pursue derivatives operations and related activities that produce revenue,” Metaplanet added. The company’s shares changed hands around $4.06, falling nearly 4% on Wednesday, according to Yahoo Finance. The company’s stock price has plunged roughly 68% over the past three months from $12.90, although it has still increased 74% year-to-date.  Founded in 1999, Metaplanet has managed budget hotels across Japan, including “love hotels,” but Wednesday’s announcement makes no mention of hospitality. Rather, Metaplanet said the new subsidiary will be separate from its treasury operations. In the second quarter, Metaplanet disclosed an operating profit of ¥817 million ($5.5 million) on ¥1.23 billion ($8.4 million) in total sales, according to a shareholder presentation.  The performance was largely driven by Metaplanet’s income-generation segment, which generated ¥1.13 billion ($7.7 million) by selling Bitcoin put options. The derivatives are only profitable for buyers when Bitcoin’s spot price falls below an option’s given strike price. “This business has become our engine of growth, generating consistent revenue and net income,” Metaplanet President Simon Gerovich said on X on Wednesday. Gerovich separately said on Wednesday that Metaplanet had officially closed on its $1.45 billion offering of 385 million shares. More than 70 investors…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 13:49