THE Bureau of Customs has filed criminal charges against 40 importers and licensed customs brokers for violating the Customs Modernization and Tariff Act, as smuggling continues to erode government revenues.
Customs announced on Tuesday that it has now lodged 14 criminal cases against importers and brokers for unlawful importation activities before the Department of Justice, covering the period July 1 to the present.
“The cases involve unlawful importation activities, including technical smuggling, misdeclaration, and undervaluation of goods, aimed at evading the correct payment of duties and taxes,” it said in a statement.
In addition, the bureau also secured four criminal convictions from prior smuggling cases before Commissioner Ariel F. Nepomuceno took office in July 2025.
Customs said these convictions are a “significant milestone” in customs enforcement and showed that pursued cases can reach judicial resolution.
“By consistently pursuing prosecution, the bureau strengthens deterrence against smuggling schemes that deprive the government of rightful revenue and create unfair competition against legitimate businesses,” it said.
Customs earns revenue primarily through duties, tariffs, and taxes imposed on imported goods entering the Philippines, and is aiming to collect P1.003 trillion this year.
The agency fell short of its P958.7‑billion target last year, generating only P934.4 billion after a mid-year freeze on rice imports dented collections.
From January to December 2025, confiscated smuggled products hit P61.7 billion, led by P680.1 million in e‑cigarettes and vapes, data from the bureau showed.
Other seizures included P624.93 million in electronics, P622.08 million in agricultural products, P399.21 million in food items, P340.30 million in hazardous waste, and P202.1 million in fuel. — Aubrey Rose A. Inosante


