The post U.S. Struck Colombians On Vessel in Caribbean Friday, Hegseth Says appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Topline Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the U.S. struck another boat on Friday, killing three men the Trump administration claimed were “narco-terrorists” and members of a Colombian militant group—he confirmed the attack just hours after President Donald Trump called Colombian President Gustavo Petro a “drug leader” and promised to cut off subsidies to the South American nation. Trump called Colombian President Gustravo Petro a “drug leader” in a social media post earlier on Sunday. AFP via Getty Images Key Facts In a statement on social media posted on Sunday, Hegseth said the U.S. had targeted another boat on Friday associated with the Ejército de Liberación Nacional—a Colombian left-wing militant group considered a terrorist organization both by the United States and the South American nation. Hegseth claimed the boat was traveling on a “known narco-trafficking route” and carrying large quantities of drugs. In an earlier post on Truth Social, Trump accused Petro of “strongly encouraging the massive production of drugs, in big and small fields,” claiming without offering further evidence drug production was the “biggest business” in the South American country. The U.S. president said he would cut off subsidies to Colombia, as well as “any other form of payment” to the nation—although he did not specify exactly which payments he was referring to. Trump also attacked Petro as an “unpopular leader, with a fresh mouth toward America.” Key Background Since September, the Trump administration has begun a campaign targeting and striking boats in the Caribbean it claims are being used by drug dealers to smuggle narcotics from South America. Most of these strikes have targeted vessels off the coast of Venezuela. The Trump administration moved to declare Venezuelan and Mexican drug cartels as “unlawful combatants” earlier this month. On Saturday, Trump said the United States was repatriating two survivors from… The post U.S. Struck Colombians On Vessel in Caribbean Friday, Hegseth Says appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. Topline Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the U.S. struck another boat on Friday, killing three men the Trump administration claimed were “narco-terrorists” and members of a Colombian militant group—he confirmed the attack just hours after President Donald Trump called Colombian President Gustavo Petro a “drug leader” and promised to cut off subsidies to the South American nation. Trump called Colombian President Gustravo Petro a “drug leader” in a social media post earlier on Sunday. AFP via Getty Images Key Facts In a statement on social media posted on Sunday, Hegseth said the U.S. had targeted another boat on Friday associated with the Ejército de Liberación Nacional—a Colombian left-wing militant group considered a terrorist organization both by the United States and the South American nation. Hegseth claimed the boat was traveling on a “known narco-trafficking route” and carrying large quantities of drugs. In an earlier post on Truth Social, Trump accused Petro of “strongly encouraging the massive production of drugs, in big and small fields,” claiming without offering further evidence drug production was the “biggest business” in the South American country. The U.S. president said he would cut off subsidies to Colombia, as well as “any other form of payment” to the nation—although he did not specify exactly which payments he was referring to. Trump also attacked Petro as an “unpopular leader, with a fresh mouth toward America.” Key Background Since September, the Trump administration has begun a campaign targeting and striking boats in the Caribbean it claims are being used by drug dealers to smuggle narcotics from South America. Most of these strikes have targeted vessels off the coast of Venezuela. The Trump administration moved to declare Venezuelan and Mexican drug cartels as “unlawful combatants” earlier this month. On Saturday, Trump said the United States was repatriating two survivors from…

U.S. Struck Colombians On Vessel in Caribbean Friday, Hegseth Says

Topline

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the U.S. struck another boat on Friday, killing three men the Trump administration claimed were “narco-terrorists” and members of a Colombian militant group—he confirmed the attack just hours after President Donald Trump called Colombian President Gustavo Petro a “drug leader” and promised to cut off subsidies to the South American nation.

Trump called Colombian President Gustravo Petro a “drug leader” in a social media post earlier on Sunday.

AFP via Getty Images

Key Facts

In a statement on social media posted on Sunday, Hegseth said the U.S. had targeted another boat on Friday associated with the Ejército de Liberación Nacional—a Colombian left-wing militant group considered a terrorist organization both by the United States and the South American nation.

Hegseth claimed the boat was traveling on a “known narco-trafficking route” and carrying large quantities of drugs.

In an earlier post on Truth Social, Trump accused Petro of “strongly encouraging the massive production of drugs, in big and small fields,” claiming without offering further evidence drug production was the “biggest business” in the South American country.

The U.S. president said he would cut off subsidies to Colombia, as well as “any other form of payment” to the nation—although he did not specify exactly which payments he was referring to.

Trump also attacked Petro as an “unpopular leader, with a fresh mouth toward America.”

Key Background

Since September, the Trump administration has begun a campaign targeting and striking boats in the Caribbean it claims are being used by drug dealers to smuggle narcotics from South America. Most of these strikes have targeted vessels off the coast of Venezuela. The Trump administration moved to declare Venezuelan and Mexican drug cartels as “unlawful combatants” earlier this month. On Saturday, Trump said the United States was repatriating two survivors from one of the Caribbean strikes last week, including one Colombian national. Colombian officials identified the survivor as Jeison Obando Perez, 34, who Colombian Interior Minister Armando Benedetti said was on board a submersible. Perez “arrived with brain trauma, sedated, drugged, breathing with a ventilator,” Benedetti said in a post on social media, and would be prosecuted for drug trafficking after medical treatment.

How Has Petro Responded?

In response to increasing tensions between Petro’s government and the U.S., the Colombian leader accused the U.S. of killing another Colombian national in a strike in September. Petro identified the victim as Alejandro Carranza, who he claimed was a fisherman with “no ties to drug trafficking.” The president also claimed the boat was “drifting and had a distress signal on” due to engine problems, and accused U.S. officials of “murder” in a series of posts on social media. He continued to criticize the U.S. president on Sunday after Trump’s threat to cut off funding, insisting in another post he did not consider the U.S. his enemy. “The problem is with Trump, not with the US,” Petro wrote.

When Did the Feud Between Trump and Petro Start?

Petro was one of the Trump administration’s first international antagonists. Just days after Trump took office in January, Petro refused to accept planes full of Colombian migrants as the administration began its plans for mass deportations. The Trump administration responded by threatening 50% tariffs on Colombian imports, but the two governments eventually came to a deal after Colombia agreed to accept the deportees. Speaking at the United Nations General Assembly in September, Petro criticized the Trump administration again for their campaign in the Caribbean, even calling for criminal investigations into officials as high up as the president himself. The Trump administration revoked Petro’s visa after he spoke at a pro-Palestinian demonstration in New York days later.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharyfolk/2025/10/19/us-strikes-friday-killed-three-colombians-hegseth-says-after-trump-calls-colombian-president-a-drug-leader/

Market Opportunity
Union Logo
Union Price(U)
$0.001139
$0.001139$0.001139
+12.43%
USD
Union (U) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.

You May Also Like

Music body ICMP laments “wilful” theft of artists’ work

Music body ICMP laments “wilful” theft of artists’ work

The post Music body ICMP laments “wilful” theft of artists’ work appeared on BitcoinEthereumNews.com. A major music industry group, ICMP, has lamented the use of artists’ work by AI companies, calling them guilty of “wilful” copyright infringement, as the battle between the tech firms and the arts industry continues. The Brussels-based group known as the International Confederation of Music Publishers (ICMP) comprises major record labels and other music industry professionals. Their voice adds to many others within the arts industry that have expressed displeasure at AI firms for using their creative work to train their systems without permission. ICMP accuses AI firms of deliberate copyright infringement ICMP director general John Phelan told AFP that big tech firms and AI-specific companies were involved in what he termed “the largest copyright infringement exercise that has been seen.” He cited the likes of OpenAI, Suno, Udio, and Mistral as some of the culprits. The ICMP carried out an investigation for nearly two years to ascertain how generative AI firms were using material by creatives to enrich themselves. The Brussels-based group is one of a number of industry bodies that span across news media and publishing to target the fast-growing AI sector over its use of content without paying any royalties. Suno and Udio, who are AI music generators, can produce tracks with voices, melodies, and musical styles that echo those of the original artists such as the Beatles, Depeche Mode, Mariah Carey, and the Beach boys. “What is legal or illegal is how the technologies are used. That means the corporate decisions made by the chief executives of companies matter immensely and should comply with the law,” Phelan told AFP. “What we see is they are engaged in wilful, commercial-scale copyright infringement.” Phelan. In June last year, a US trade group, the Recording Industry Association of America, filed a lawsuit against Suno and Udio. However, an exception…
Share
BitcoinEthereumNews2025/09/18 04:41
Nvidia’s Strategic Masterstroke: Deepening Early-Stage Ties with India’s Booming AI Startup Ecosystem

Nvidia’s Strategic Masterstroke: Deepening Early-Stage Ties with India’s Booming AI Startup Ecosystem

BitcoinWorld Nvidia’s Strategic Masterstroke: Deepening Early-Stage Ties with India’s Booming AI Startup Ecosystem NEW DELHI, INDIA – October 2025: Nvidia Corporation
Share
bitcoinworld2026/02/20 09:30
Interest rate cuts are coming – investors can expect a 200% increase in returns through Goldenmining

Interest rate cuts are coming – investors can expect a 200% increase in returns through Goldenmining

GoldenMining promotes cloud mining contracts with fixed daily payouts and claims of 200% returns, offering XRP, BTC, ETH, and DOGE options with low entry barriers.
Share
Blockchainreporter2025/09/18 00:46