A former GOP strategist levied a wild claim against a Democratic candidate for Congress on Sunday. Cheri Jacobus posted on X that Democratic candidate George ConwayA former GOP strategist levied a wild claim against a Democratic candidate for Congress on Sunday. Cheri Jacobus posted on X that Democratic candidate George Conway

Ex-GOP strategist makes wild claims about Dem candidate: 'It was a betrayal'

2026/02/16 07:34
8 min read

A former GOP strategist levied a wild claim against a Democratic candidate for Congress on Sunday.

Cheri Jacobus posted on X that Democratic candidate George Conway, a former Republican lawyer running for a House seat in New York, was involved in President Donald Trump's scheme to force former Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy to retire and make way for Brett Kavanaugh's appointment to the bench. She also claimed that Conway was part of a Republican-led group that was courting Never Trumpers to support Kavanaugh, which helped sway the vote of Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME).

"George joined our secret DC NeverTrump meetings only weeks before Kennedy announced retirement and Kavanaugh was nominated," Jacobus posted on X. "Pals George, McGahn, and Leonard Leo needed the NeverTrumpers to support [Kavanaugh] to get Susan Collins. He and McGahn were in on it, [in my opinion]."

Jacobus also claimed that anyone who doesn't believe Conway was in on the plot to get Kavanaugh nominated is a "fool."

"I was in that meeting where George showed up," she posted. "I stopped going after that because it was clear he was up to something. It was a betrayal he was allowed to be there, as attendees were invite-only and many could have lost their jobs if exposed. We were not warned in advance, but told on site that he'd asked to attend."

RawStory reached out to Conway for comment about the claims.

Conway has been a target of Trump's since the first administration. He has been a fervent critic of the president and supported both of Trump's impeachments during the first Trump administration.

Democratic voters overwhelmingly want a leader who will fight the superrich and corporate America, and they believe Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) is the person to do it, according to a poll released this week.

While Democrats are often portrayed as squabbling and directionless, the poll conducted last month by the New Republic with Embold Research demonstrated a remarkable unity among the more than 2,400 Democratic voters it surveyed.

This was true with respect to policy: More than 9 in 10 want to raise taxes on corporations and on the wealthiest Americans, while more than three-quarters want to break up tech monopolies and believe the government should conduct stronger oversight of business.

But it was also reflected in sentiments that a more confrontational governing philosophy should prevail and general agreement that the party in its current form is not doing enough to take on its enemies.

Three-quarters said they wanted Democrats to “be more aggressive in calling out Republicans,” while nearly 7 in 10 said it was appropriate to describe their party as “weak.”

This appears to have translated to support for a more muscular view of government. Where the label once helped to sink Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vt.) two runs for president, nearly three-quarters of Democrats now say they are either unconcerned with the label of “socialist” or view it as an asset.

Meanwhile, 46% said they want to see a “progressive” at the top of the Democratic ticket in 2028, higher than the number who said they wanted a “liberal” or a “moderate.”

It’s an environment that appears to be fertile ground for Ocasio-Cortez, who pitched her vision for a “working-class-centered politics” at this week’s Munich summit in what many suspected was a soft-launch of her presidential candidacy in 2028.

With 85% favorability, Bronx congresswoman had the highest approval rating of any Democratic figure in the country among the voters surveyed.

It’s a higher mark than either of the figures who head-to-head polls have shown to be presumptive favorites for the nomination: Former Vice President Kamala Harris and California Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Early polls show AOC lagging considerably behind these top two. However, there are signs in the New Republic’s poll that may give her supporters cause for hope.

While Harris is also well-liked, 66% of Democrats surveyed said they believe she’s “had her shot” at the presidency and should not run again after losing to President Donald Trump in 2024.

Newsom does not have a similar electoral history holding him back and is riding high from the passage of Proposition 50, which will allow Democrats to add potentially five more US House seats this November.

But his policy approach may prove an ill fit at a time when Democrats overwhelmingly say their party is “too timid” about taxing the rich and corporations and taking on tech oligarchs.

As labor unions in California have pushed for a popular proposal to introduce a billionaire’s tax, Newsom has made himself the chiseled face of the resistance to this idea, joining with right-wing Silicon Valley barons in an aggressive campaign to kill it.

While polls can tell us little two years out about what voters will do in 2028, New Republic editorial director Emily Cooke said her magazine’s survey shows an unmistakable pattern.

“It’s impossible to come away from these results without concluding that economic populism is a winning message for loyal Democrats,” she wrote. “This was true across those who identify as liberals, moderates, or progressives: An unmistakable majority wants a party that will fight harder against the corporations and rich people they see as responsible for keeping them down.”

CONTINUE READINGShow less

A GOP analyst skewered his party on Sunday for making an unprofessional Valentine's Day social media post.

On Saturday, the GOP posted a photo of Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker, wearing a red bib, eating unhealthy food ranging from pizza to burgers and everything in between. The picture included text that read, "My love for you is bigger than JB Prizker."

President Donald Trump's GOP has made petty grievances a part of its communication strategy. Communications director Steven Cheung has attacked several media outlets and reporters, both personally and professionally. Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt has also made a habit of mocking reporters' questions during briefings.

The post sparked outrage from political analysts and observers.

Douglas Heye, a former Republican National Committee communications professional, responded to the post by claiming it "never would have gone out" when he was in charge.

"This never would have gone out when I was running the RNC comms shop," Heye posted on X. "Reveling in unprofessionalism."

Heye also hit back at MAGA fans who defended the post.

One philosophy professor accused Heye of lacking a "backbone" for not supporting the post. Heye replied, "That, or I spent every waking minute of every day pushing against Obamacare, and we picked up 63 House seats and fired Pelosi as Speaker. Thanks."

"From a major American political party. Despicable. Juvenile. UnAmerican," former NPR correspondent Pam Fessler posted on X.

"Nasty and self-debasing," Isaac Shorr, senior editor at Mediaite, posted on X.

CONTINUE READINGShow less

President Donald Trump's acting Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director, Todd Lyons, was hit with a brutal fact-check on Sunday over claims he made about a recent operation in Aurora, Colorado.

Last week, Lyons appeared before the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee, which oversees his agency, to answer questions about ICE's "Operation Metro Surge" in Minneapolis. During the hearing, Lyons made comments about another operation in Aurora that a local journalist found specious at best.

Lyons claimed that ICE officers were prevented from arresting Tren de Aragua gang members at an apartment complex in Aurora because their operation was impeded by local protesters. He also said that those protesters had been tipped off by local law enforcement. ICE's social media team later amplified those claims in a post.

However, those claims fell apart after journalist Marshall Zelinger with 9News delivered a brutal fact-check.

Clark noted that when 9News reached out to ICE for clarification about the social media post, the agency then deleted it. The City of Aurora said it "was not and has not been involved" in ICE's operations locally.

The most stunning part of Lyons' claim, Zelinger noted, was that it did not match the timeline he offered.

Lyons claimed that the apartment complex that ICE planned to raid was empty when they arrived, which he chalked up to the alleged tip from local law enforcement. But that claim doesn't hold any weight, as the U.S. government alerted the public about the operation one week before it happened. Zelinger then played a clip of a 9News reporter telling the public about ICE's plans to stage operations at nearby Buckley Air Force Base.

It is unclear whether Lyons plans to correct his testimony, Zelinger noted.

CONTINUE READINGShow less
Market Opportunity
OFFICIAL TRUMP Logo
OFFICIAL TRUMP Price(TRUMP)
$3.434
$3.434$3.434
-0.14%
USD
OFFICIAL TRUMP (TRUMP) Live Price Chart
Disclaimer: The articles reposted on this site are sourced from public platforms and are provided for informational purposes only. They do not necessarily reflect the views of MEXC. All rights remain with the original authors. If you believe any content infringes on third-party rights, please contact service@support.mexc.com for removal. MEXC makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy, completeness, or timeliness of the content and is not responsible for any actions taken based on the information provided. The content does not constitute financial, legal, or other professional advice, nor should it be considered a recommendation or endorsement by MEXC.